Because he deserves to know...

Posted by Studio222 Photography | 2:22 PM | | 24 comments » | Share on Facebook

He kisses me goodbye and heads off in an opposite direction. For most of our weddings, everything is in opposites until the ceremony. Sometimes I'll turn around and see him standing there. He'll ask a question. Or, he's just checking in. I was so caught up in my busy independence that I didn't realize I needed checking in on. But now I like it. A random text message buzzes against my hip. "I love you". I inhale against my nerves and then turn back to catch a quick smile from the bride. *snap* That one is going to be good. It's time to put her veil on. And again, I'm diving head first into my art. Light from the window. Light from the lamp. Light from the ceiling. Lines and angles. The world through a camera is a magical place.

Another buzz against my hip. "The groom is headed to the ceremony location. See you soon!" I won't see him again until it's time for the ceremony to start. And to be honest, I'll be so caught up in this work that I won't even enjoy my first glimpse of him. I'll probably be rushed, stressed, my first words to him being some sort of hurried sentence about what we need to be doing next. He'll smile. Or sigh. And he'll switch lenses with me. Then he'll make sure I have an extra memory card. And battery. He'll tenderly squeeze my arm as he walks away. He's ever looking out for me. And I will forget to say "Thank you".

A hushed room. I lean out into the aisle from the front. He winks at me from the back corner of the aisle and my heart flutters. Our places are reversed from where a man and woman usually stand at this moment in time. Time stops as the bride comes into view. *click* Now that moment will be frozen forever. The groom gasps in his breath. *click* She's going to make fun of him for that expression later on, but she'll treasure that photo forever. A love poem is read. I haven't written him a love poem in months. I make a mental note to do that. And then forget.

Our favorite time of the day is upon us. Portraits with the bride and groom. For the first time in the day we are able to fully work as a team. Our movements are like a dance. I direct a shot, he directs a shot. We mindlessly move around each other to get the angles our imaginations are envisioning. The bride sneaks a kiss from the groom. *snap* Nate turns a second too late to get the shot and smiles at me as he sees that I got it. We are team. He can count on me and I on him. We both, instantly remember that we are not alone today. Or any day. I see him smile to himself.

The reception will fly by. He will ask me to dance. I'll say no. He'll continue asking me to dance until I give in, even if only for a sway or two. I'll worry that it won't look professional. He won't worry. I'm not sure if he ever worries. I probably do enough worrying for the both of us. But he knows how much I love to dance so he will make me do it, even against my will, for at least a second. He'll kiss the top of my head and push me away. Back to work. But never off of his mind.

He is my inspiration. My constant rock. My soulmate. My best friend. He is my comedic relief. My supporter. My driving force. He is exactly what I need every minute of the day without me ever having to ask. He will let me cry in frustration. He will pour me a glass of wine. He will listen to me talk, no babble, with plans and ideas and dreams, and he will never tell me that I can't do it. He will offer to do my errands on top of his full work day. And he will make me dinner when I haven't stopped working long enough to realize that it's dinnertime. I will forget to tell him how much he means to me. And that is never okay. Because he deserves to know every minute how wonderful I think he is and how lucky I feel to have him loving me. He deserves to know that I see all the work he does for our business, our life, and our relationship. He deserves to know that I know the sacrifices he makes for me, the ways that he goes out of his way for me, and that even when life is chaotic, we are grounded with each other. Nathan, I love you more than anything. I love you more than you can imagine. And even when I get too caught up in everyday business to tell you like you deserve, I still love you endlessly.



Image by: Heather Ahrens

24 comments

  1. Amy S // May 28, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

    AWWWWWWWWWWWWW

  2. Deb // May 28, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

    Sweet!!!

  3. Amanda // May 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

    thank you so much for this post... a beautiful reminder for me to tell my husband the same things. :-) Don't lose these thoughts ever!

  4. J. Castro Photography // May 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

    Coming from a husbands point of view... you just brought me to tears! =)

  5. Anonymous // May 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM  

    One amazing tribute to your husband!

  6. Studio222 Photography // May 28, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

    @oneshotbeyond
    We aren't married....yet ;)

  7. Lisette Price Photography // May 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

    Okay make a girl cry......seriously! Becka your writing is beautiful and you and Nate are so lucky to have found one another!

  8. lisalisa // May 28, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

    Oh wow... that was beautiful!! You are truly blessed and very lucky. Both of you. :o) yAy!

  9. Hybrid Photography // May 28, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

    AWWWWWWW :)

  10. Brandi // May 28, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

    Awwwwwwww.. disgustingly sweet ;) Teehee, just kidding about the disgusting part. You guys make such an awesome team and you're pretty damn cute to boot.

  11. Jules // May 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

    Absolutely adorable. I love your way with words. Thanks for reminding me what life is actually about.

  12. Cruise Gossip Girl // May 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

    Becka, your gift with words is impeccable. I am sitting here with chills and goosebumps, moved by the love you feel for Nate. Perhaps, I am slightly more touched by the public profession of love you have for him as well as your genuine spirit and nature. Your story was uncensored, unafraid of running off potential clients with the idea that Nate missed a shot that you caught or that you took a couple second break to dance with one another. I imagine this genuine spirit is in part, what draws your clients to you. Of course, you're also extremely talented! :)

  13. Tira J // May 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

    So beautifully written. You two make an amazing team. And Becka, you are one outstanding writer! :)

  14. Kacy Jo // May 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

    :)

  15. Studio222 Photography // May 29, 2009 at 1:31 AM  

    @pureemotions- thank you. I thought about all that before I clicked publish but decided to post it anyway. It is our passion that inspires us so why shy away from that? Why hide it and act like it's all business? A lot of it is business, but passion and love is the magic and magic is what people want in their images, at least we think so. ;)

  16. Tracy (Serendipity Images) // May 29, 2009 at 2:37 AM  

    Becka, that was one of the sweetest things I've ever read! What a beautiful expression of love! =)

  17. Anonymous // May 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

    You do not know how fortunate you are.... WAIT.... YOU DO!!!! LOVE YOU Momma

  18. Lori Dyer // May 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

    Rebecca, this seriously almost made me start to cry, but i'm in a public library so i had to force myself not to... that's increbile! I'm so glad that you're happy :)

  19. Brianna // May 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

    Melt my heart :)

  20. Zak // May 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

    Very sweet! :)

  21. Carrie Nicole // June 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

    SO so so so SO very sweet! It's really great to see you so happy, you truly deserve it and such a great guy to treat you so well.

    I remember first "meeting" you in bloggyville via CSL and what a hard time you were having back then and to see how happy you are now and how your business is flourishing is really inspiring.

    xoxoxo
    Carrie

  22. Jamie Burnett // June 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

    Awwweeee.. You guys are adorable!

  23. Crystal // June 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

    aahhh...that was so wonderful! it makes me so happy to see/read that there are great marriages out there with real people who love each other. i can't wait until i have someone to talk about like that...you guys rock and I don't even really know you! i love your images...you are such an inspiration!

  24. Katie Beverley // June 2, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

    What an awesome post! LOVE this so much! Thanks for sharing...