Happy Easter

Posted by Studio222 Photography | 2:22 PM | | 6 comments » | Share on Facebook

SAINT AUGUSTINE | FLORIDA

We spent the weekend with family celebrating the Easter holiday and our nephew's 15th birthday. (Watch out ladies...and drivers!) We were up in St. Augustine for linner (lunch+dinner, it's all the rage for family holidays) on Sunday and I took this picture. My mom told me it was "resurrection fern" so I thought it would be a good thing to take a picture of on Easter Sunday. But it wasn't until I got back home and did a search to learn more that I realized how fitting it was, not just to Easter, but to life in general in the world right now...

The resurrection fern gets its name because it can survive long periods of drought by curling up and appearing dead. When just a little water is present, the fern will uncurl and reopen, appearing to resurrect and restoring itself to a vivid green color. It has been estimated that these plants could go 100 years without water and still revive after a single soaking.


I'll spare you my explanatory metaphor and let you just savor the beauty of this little plant for yourself. I am secretly hoping that the next time I am there it is rainy so that I can get a picture of the leaves all lush and open and alive. I love nature.

6 comments

  1. Kim // April 13, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

    According to the people at Bare Escentuals, this plant also does wonders for your skin (so they told me this past weekend)
    :)

  2. Anonymous // April 13, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

    Love it baby.... I hope it is raining next time also.... LOVE YOU

  3. Zak Schwank // April 14, 2009 at 12:00 AM  

    Wow 100 years! Happy Easter you two(22) :)

  4. Rachael Earl // April 14, 2009 at 3:26 AM  

    I can't pinpoint why, but I absolutely love that photograph. So beautiful in an unconventional way. Happy {late} Easter!

  5. robin // April 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

    Resurrection ferns are really amazing. Love to see them after a rain hits!

  6. Studio222 Photography // April 14, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

    @Kim- Good to know! Maybe it resurrects the life into your skin. Oh the easy marketing we could do with that. LOL

    @Zak- You witty man, you!

    @Rachel- Thank you. I felt the same way.

    @mom- xoxo

    @robin- I would love to see them after the rain!