On gravity...

Posted by Studio222 Photography | 2:22 PM | | 15 comments » | Share on Facebook



I've always had a rebellious spirit. I'm proud of it now but I'm sure it brought a lot of grief to my mom during conversations that went like this: "You need to clean your room now!" "Well I was planning on it but now that you told me to, I don't want to!"

Just the sheer act of someone telling me that I had to do something a certain way or that I couldn't do something ignited a fire of ambition inside of me to prove them wrong. Seriously people, it's bad. So when I was told that I could never be successful I thought, "Just wait." When they said, "It will take years before you can do it full time." I thought, "Uh uh, I'm doing it right now." When they told me, "You're doing it wrong" I thought, "Nope, we're giving them something new." And then when they told me, "You're both too young." I thought, "Watch us."

I've been hearing a lot of people talking about following their dreams lately and it makes me so excited. Go for it! Do it. Let me be the first to tell you that you truly can. Find something that inspires you and hold on to it. Repeat it. Watch it over and over. Write it on sticky notes and put them all over your house. Your dreams are too important to let them fall away because of fear. Do not let the world, or your family, or your friends, or the economy scare you into settling. Find that rebellious part of you that wants to prove everyone wrong and let it run free for a little while! Recently, I've been extremely drawn in by Wicked. And the song "Defying Gravity" has pretty much become my mantra. I will play it on repeat for hours while I work and sing it over and over again. This song is what inspires me. Find whatever it is that inspires you, play it on repeat, and go!

15 comments

  1. Anonymous // June 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

    By the way, and completely off topic... I love the leopard Yoyospinas (Louboutins) that show up on the top of the blog in the rotation of photos :P

  2. Studio222 Photography // June 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

    @Megan I knew you'd love those!

  3. Michelle Guzman // June 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

    Awesome post!!! I totally believe that you can do anything you want to. You have big dreams, faith, and you work hard to accomplish the "impossible". I can't wait to see what you do next Becca!! :)

  4. Studio222 Photography // June 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

    @Michelle Back atcha woman! :)

  5. Barry // June 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. Anonymous // June 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

    I think I need to do something like that... You are never too old, yes I am NEVER too old!!! Love you M

  7. Anonymous // June 22, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

    love it! :-)

  8. Studio222 Photography // June 22, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

    @Barry Thanks :) Fixed.

  9. Studio222 Photography // June 22, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

    @chelo Thank you. I needed that today :)

  10. Brandi // June 22, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

    I feel like I could have written something very similar! I won't go into all the nasty details but there was a time in my life I was told I wouldn't even be NORMAL, period, and hold a job, etc. Well I guess they were right, because I don't just hold some normal job, I have my own business - which is way better. I agree.. everybody should go after their dreams and make them a reality.

    :) You guys are awesome, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Can't wait until we can chat over some coffee (or wine) someday!

  11. dacia // June 22, 2009 at 9:16 PM  

    1. love wicked. got to see it in chicago!
    2. you've always been an amazingly talented photographer... what's more is that you continue to excel in ways people didn't see coming... spectacular.
    3. love the photo :)

  12. britt // June 23, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

    i LOVE LOVE LOVE this post. i totally needed to hear that today!

  13. Melanie Watson // June 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

    Aw my little kindred spirit... I couldn't have said it better. You have to risk big to win big... go against the grain and defy gravity! :) I had not heard that song before and its so great. Speaks to my heart! Everyone told us we were crazy when we set out on this adventure in our lives but we just have better vision than they do and aren't scared of the unknown. :) Make your own way girlie! Live in love and happiness! :)

  14. Carrie Nicole // June 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

    I got all teary eyed reading this, such a great post. You are wise beyond your years sister!

    I'm going through such a hard time and struggling with wanting to reach for my dreams and change my life into something I love vs feeling stuck in a world that doesn't fit me. I hold SO MUCH guilt about it and it's affecting my relationship.

    I often feel like I'm crazy for wanting big things and for dreaming big, especially if it would affect anyone around me. That everyone has to compromise, especially when it comes to your relationships. It's created a huge sense of guilt that I just can't seem to release.

    Anyways, as always, love your posts. You really are inspiring and I think I'll be coming back to read this post if I ever doubt that following my heart is the right thing to do.

    xoxo

  15. Amy // June 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

    Not only is this one of my favorite musicals of all time, but one of my favorite lines as well. Big dreams are amazing, love how you put this!