Happy Earth Day!

Posted by Studio222 Photography | 2:22 PM | | 16 comments » | Share on Facebook

For some reason, I've just been feeling down the last few days. A little frustrated, but not at any one thing in particular. Sometimes I feel stuck in my life, even if there is no real reason for me to feel that way, and I just have to either ride it out or figure out how to un-stuck myself. This time, I think I'm just going to have to ride it out. Hopefully it passes quickly.

Today is Earth Day and it's lovely outside. Maybe I'll feel better if I go outside for a while. As soon as this blog post is up I'm going to force myself to go for a run. But first, I thought it might be fun to share with you my favorite, simple, "green" way to be a better consumer and decrease your carbon footprint.

It's... BAGGU Bags!

I don't even remember how I originally heard about these bags but I just love them. They were originally created by a mother/daughter team (how cute is that?) and their small little business has boomed into something amazing! Each of the regular sized bags holds as much as 3 plastic grocery bags and using just 1 baggu bag for a year keeps up to 700 plastic grocery bags out of our landfills! They also come with a tiny pouch that they can be folded up and stored in. They are small enough to carry in your glove compartment or even your purse. They have a rainbow of colors available. So many, in fact, that you could literally color coordinate your bags to your outfit any day of the week! Or, if you're planning a wedding, you could go and be inspired for your own wedding day color palette.




In honor of Earth Day, we're going to give some of these awesome bags away! The winner will get their choice of either 2 regular sized bags or one large bag. (The perfect amount for your weekend trip to the farmer's market!) So head over to the BAGGU site and take a look around. Let us know your favorite colors and what creative things you would use them for in your life. Make sure you leave your email address in the comment so that we can contact you if you are the winner! Nate and I will read over all the comments and pick a winner tomorrow at 2:22pm. :)

16 comments

  1. Ashy // April 22, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

    thanks to earth day, i've been making an effort all day to think of ways i can minimize my carbon footprint this year... and these bags would be a great help! now that i'm a mom, i'm constantly grabbing little tidbits (baby socks, shopping lists, lunch) as i run out the door. more often than not, i end up throwing them in a grocery bag which i later toss in the garbage. tisk, tisk. i could definitely make good use of a buggu or two!!

    ashley@ashleyberman.com

  2. Carolyn G // April 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

    These are so adorable and green. I would choose the following colors: sage, pink and peacock. I would use these when I go to the farmer's market. I always stock up and these are terrific. My fruits and veggies and fresh bread would fit perfectly.

  3. Ashy // April 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

    p.s. my favorite colors are peacock and rhubarb!! they're amazing :)

  4. Janaye Marcil // April 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

    Ooooo. I'd love one of those bags. :) Great to carry my dance stuff in too, not just groceries. :D Dark green is my fav color. :)

    e-mail:JCMarcil@aol.com

  5. Leah Yvonne // April 22, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

    Ok, I LOVE the Abe Lincoln ones, and smoke would go with just about anything. I am always multi-tasking with three boys, so I could run to the store on my lunchbreak, and not worry about my bag of food being mistaken for someone's ancient lunch in the breakroom... thus landing in the dumpster! Abe has some amazing quotes, and here are two faves; one kinda silly, one not so much.
    "When you have got an elephant by the hind leg, and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run."
    "Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

  6. Tracy (Serendipity Images) // April 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

    I've never heard of these before -- very cool! I would use Baggu bags to bring things in from my car & not just throw everything in my trunk until it can fit no more! ;-) I love the oyster & grey flower bags!

    Happy Earth Day! =)

    tracy@serendipityimages.net

  7. rachel // April 22, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

    i love that this company was started by a mom and daughter and grew into something so successful. i have an envirosax that i keep in my car and use but these are so pretty!

    i'm LOVING the fuschia, yellow and rhubarb flower. all of the colors are so gorgeous though!

    HAPPY EARTH DAY STUDIO222!!

  8. Anna Lynch McClary // April 23, 2009 at 12:26 AM  

    What cute bags! I'm so bad about remembering our bags, so having something a little more compact that I could live in the car would be perfect! Besides that, anything that comes in that many different colors is a-okay with me. I love the lime and caper flower!

    I'm going to pass these onto my mom. I think they'd be perfect in her store. Thanks!

  9. Meredith // April 23, 2009 at 6:41 AM  

    These are a awesome way to go green! I love the idea... my favorite colors are purple & green. :)

    mere_huntley@hotmail.com

  10. Manon // April 23, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

    I believe those bags are great. We have such bags in germany too. Here you can put them into a small pocket and clip it on your keys.
    But what I really need to say is, I find it really great that americans start to use reusable stuff and no plastic bags.

  11. Over the Moon Custom Design // April 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

    I have been looking for something just like this... a reusable grocery bag without a store logo on the front... so that i can use it everywhere i shop! i love way too many of the colors!!! but a few favorites include newberry, lime, peacock, deep ocean, purple, smoke and I LOVE all the pattern bags! I would especially enjoy using these at the farmers market... those produce bags are pretty neat! i could also use these to tote around little necessities for my 2 year old... its really time to ditch the diaper bag!

    laurenvia@gmail.com

  12. Over the Moon Custom Design // April 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

    This is just what I've been looking for... a reusable shopping bag without one particular store logo on the front... so i can use it at all the places i shop! i love too many of the colors but some favorites include new berry, lime, peacock, deep ocean, purple, smoke, and especially all of the patterned bags! I would love using the produce bags at the farmers market... and the regular bags would even be perfect for toting around necessities for my two-year-old. Its really time to ditch the diaper bag!

  13. LissaLissa // April 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

    ohhh I LOVE the colors the Baggus come in! I've started taking my 4 month old on daily nature walks (how green is that?!) in our yard and we make sure we find and name something new every day. Even when we don't go far it is amazing how much I need to bring along....phone, house keys, baby sweater, drool cloth, camera...and we pick up treasures on the way, flowers to press, pine cones, sticks with moss. My long term goal is for my son and I to photograph all of the plants and animals we can find in our yard and identify them on the web. We will make a book with the picture, the name, and info we look up. We've run the gamut in just a short time from snakes to strawberries! A Baggu or 2 would be very helpful to carry some of our great finds back to the house to make good stuff with them!

  14. Anonymous // April 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

    I love these things! What a great way to conserve. I have a couple of the huge recyclable ones from Target and I always bring those when I shop there (which is far too often, I must admit). I'm pretty sure I love all the colors (I'm a big fan of COLOR!) but my favorites would have to be caper flower and pigment green!!

    meganketchum815@gmail.com

  15. Donadio Photography // April 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

    What a gret bag!!! The electric purple with Lincoln's face on it is awesome! I also love the purple flowerbag. These bags would be perfect to put my niece and nephews muddy shoes in after a day at the park, rather then getting my floor matts all dirty.

  16. Zak Schwank // April 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

    I love me sum earth friendly products! Happy Earth Day!