A Fear of Commitment...

Posted by Studio222 Photography | 2:22 PM | | 17 comments » | Share on Facebook

At one of our recent weddings we were spoiled with tons of time for portraits beforehand. But, since this is Florida, it was about 90 degrees outside with a blazing sun so we took the bride and groom for ice cream right after their "first look". (Yeah, we're a daring bunch here at Studio222 Photography.) Let me set the scene: Nate and I, carrying all of our gear, and a bride and groom dressed to the nines in their perfect ensembles are waiting in Kilwins (Kilwins, like Starbucks, is a frequent guest star at many of our sessions.) amidst random locals murmuring their congratulations. We were standing at the front of the line drooling over ice cream flavors when we heard the groom, Carl, say to the counter attendant, "Can I try the raspberry sorbet? I want to taste it before I commit..."

-silence-

Nate and I immediately burst into rolling laughter. A few seconds later the bride, Lillian, started laughing hysterically as well. At this point everyone in the shop was laughing. It took a moment for Carl to realize the hilarity of his reluctance to commit to an ice cream flavor while standing in his tux beside his bride-to-be. But then he started laughing as well. He did commit, to the raspberry sorbet and to her. And they all lived happily ever after. I just love when real life breaks through the hoop-la and reminds us all that at the end of the day, it isn't about planned out perfection, it's about being able to laugh at and with the one you love most. ;)

It reminds me of a line from the song "The Lark Ascending" sung by David Crowder:
"And I’m trying to make you feel that this is for real, that life is happening, and that it means everything."


I have no idea how I got this shot because I was laughing so hard that I was almost crying...

17 comments

  1. Anonymous // May 20, 2009 at 3:26 PM  

    that is pretty funny! Was he being funny or was it a happy mishap of words? Great shot for laughing through it.

  2. Rachael Earl // May 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

    Hilarious! And awesome shot of the moment, too!

  3. gina&tony // May 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

    ok seriously? i laughed out loud for like 5 minutes when i read this! all my coworkers now think i'm crazy. :) - gina

  4. Elizabeth // May 20, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

    What a great story! I love that the couple was able to relax before heading on with the rest of the day!

  5. Studio222 Photography // May 20, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

    @oneshotbeyond He was totally serious and completely oblivious to how funny it sounded, until we all started laughing

    @gina That's okay. Tell them the story and maybe they'll laugh too

  6. Studio222 Photography // May 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

    @oneshotbeyond He was totally serious and completely oblivious to how funny it sounded, until we all started laughing

    @gina That's okay. Tell them the story and maybe they'll laugh too

  7. Lauren // May 20, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

    Awww this is so cute! I love the story! I have been dying to take one of my couples for ice cream. I'M SO DOING IT! :D

  8. Theresa Marie // May 20, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

    So jealous that you could take them for ice cream. I do that for my e-sessions but to be able to do that on a wedding day is SWEET! La-love that photo and you totally get extra awesomeness-bonus points for taking it while cracking up. :)

  9. ohana photographers // May 21, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

    totally rad shot!!

  10. Deidre // May 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

    What a great session - I love that last one!!!

  11. Deidre Lynn // May 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

    Oops! I think I commented on the wrong post - I meant that for the engagement session but I love this one as well!

  12. Over the Moon Custom Design // May 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

    this SO made me laugh! I love this shot... and I love that Crowder song!

  13. greta, smitten // May 22, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

    these are SO good!! she looks amazing in that dress! oh and he's cute too :) i thiiiiink the first one's my fave. hard to choose though!!!

  14. Zak // May 22, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

    That's classic! They will remember that moment forever...perfect shot too! :)

  15. Lindsey // May 22, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

    WOW! How funny! I'm glad he was a sport and didn't get embarrassed! Great job getting the shot! :)

  16. Jeannie // May 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

    Great story. I love the idea of going into an ice cream parlor.

  17. Jennifer // June 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

    I really enjoyed this story and the picture is amazing, and yes as his older sister he does make these kind of comments without thinking them through often