The Proposal...

Posted by Studio222 Photography | 2:22 AM | , , | 35 comments » | Share on Facebook

Somewhere in the Caribbean Sea, sometime in the dark of night between May 31st and June 1st...


It wasn't completely a surprise. Nate and I have known for a while that we wanted to be together forever. Of course, knowing and sealing that commitment with a diamond(s) are two very different things. One opens the floodgates of the "now" and all the baggage and beauty that implies, the other keeps things in the safety of the future. After many late night talks about our future, our dreams, our goals, our desire for dogs and kids, and our mind-blowing ability to work so flawlessly as team ( ;) ) both for our business and in life in general, we decided that we were ready to start walking in the direction of an "I Do". As wedding photographers, we're constantly immersed in the business of marriage so we were a little weary of diving into it all. But we talked about it, and since we knew that we wanted it, it was silly to delay the promise of it any longer. It's kind of like that famous line from When Harry Met Sally: "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

I'm extremely picky when it comes to my jewelry so I wanted to pick out my ring. After much protest and debate, Nate finally agreed and I fell in love with one. It was purchased and then hidden and never spoken of again (except my constant begging to know if it was somewhere in the house). Nate and I had set a tentative date of early 2011, late 2010 to tie the knot and Nate had been leading me to believe that we wouldn't be getting engaged until later in the year.

The second night of our cruise, the Captain's formal night, he was dressed in a brand new dark gray suit that I made him buy and I was in my favorite little black dress and pointy heels. Our friends wanted some pictures so we decided to do a night shoot on the cruise. We walked all around the upper deck trying to find enough lighting for some cool pictures. We snapped a few of them and let them snap a few of us. Nate found a spot with some great lighting. They offered to take pictures of us there so we set the cameras and handed them over telling them our ideas for composition. After a few poses Nate suggested a shot with my back turned to him, looking out over the water. I turned and looked out over the rail. I heard the shutter and saw the flash behind me. After a few moments I grabbed my butt and lamented that these pictures were just going to be of my derrière. Nate tuned to me and said, "Becka, go look at those and make sure they look okay for you to edit them." (This is a common interaction between us since I do all of our post processing.) I walked over to the camera for me to see the screen and started clicking through images of Nathan on one knee behind me holding something. I turned around to him quickly to see him behind me on one knee with the ring held out towards me. I then had a complete time-has-stopped-and-I'm-floating-outside-of-my-head experience where I kept telling myself, "Pay attention so you can remember what he says to you!" I do remember his words and they were extremely sweet but I'm going to keep them for myself. ;) I said yes and was instantly spun around in circles. These
images of the whole event were captured by our friends and I think they did such a fabulous job! I feel so blessed to have had them there to share the moment with us!


The pose set up...






Me: "I feel like everyone is staring at my butt!"


You can see Nate getting down on his knee behind me when I realize what's going on...










The illusive and infamous victory dance (reserved only for the most epic wins)


And... the goods:

35 comments

  1. Kacy Jo // June 8, 2009 at 2:43 AM  

    Firstly, you both look super hot in those outfits! Secondly, congrats!! The ring is gorgeous!

  2. Unknown // June 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM  

    Congratulations!!! I am beyond thrilled for you!!

  3. Jules // June 8, 2009 at 3:34 AM  

    Beautiful story, beautiful pictures, beautiful ring and beautiful couple! So excited for you!

  4. ohana photographers // June 8, 2009 at 6:46 AM  

    holy crap that was the raddest proposal ever!!! i must say i'm lovin your "kiss" shot! so happy for you guys and may you two have many many many many many many .... i forgot what i was going to say, so add your own and multiply that by 1 beeellion :) much love guys!!

  5. J. Castro Photography // June 8, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

    Now that's a romantic proposal! =) EPIC WIN indeed. Congrats again you two!

    -Jaymie

  6. gina&tony // June 8, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

    these go in order of importance. :)

    1) CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    2) you two look totally hot in these pics. hehe.
    3) phenomenal ring. i mean WOW!
    4) i so love that you have a happy dance. i was worried i was the only one. lol.

  7. Janica // June 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

    Absolutely precious. Congratulations, to you both!

  8. Mrs. LC // June 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

    Congratulations again! LOVE the ring, great choice Becka! ;)

  9. Zak Schwank // June 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

    So cool! Love the proposal. Nate gets bonus points in my book. :)

  10. Mel Watson // June 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

    Congrats to you both! What a wonderful proposal story. The ring is BEAUTIFUL! Finding that one is like finding the perfect compliment to your souls. So different but much the same and better for having the other to fill in all the gaps. :)

  11. Tira J // June 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

    Ooo la la! Yep, you are two hotties at sea that have sealed the deal! Wow! You look great, and that ring is to die for! Congratulations you two! May God Bless you richly!

  12. Jeannie // June 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

    Congrats! What a beautiful setting for a proposal.

  13. Tim Co. // June 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

    the goods...look good :-)

  14. Brianna // June 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

    These are beautiful and tell a great story! :)

  15. Matilda Anderson // June 8, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

    I teared up a little bit when I read this. I am so happy for you both!

  16. Dennis Bullock // June 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

    Congrats guys!

  17. Jeanette // June 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

    Congratulations, to you both I love the story and the ring is gorgeous... Wishing you both many years of happy memorable moments !

  18. Anonymous // June 8, 2009 at 6:53 PM  

    What a wonderful story and what a beautiful ring. I am a huge fan of unique rings (obviously, you've seen mine! :P) I'm so excited for you two! Thanks so much for sharing it all with us :)

  19. Lauren K // June 8, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

    HOLY crap Nate you did awesome planning this whole thing out! :) love love love! :D

  20. Charise Proctor // June 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

    So Awesome!!! Congrats to you both!Pro

  21. Stefanie Warren // June 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

    So excited for you both! That was a great story and you have wonderful pictures to document the moment- thanks for sharing!

  22. Esi // June 8, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

    So gorgeous! Congrats to you both!!

  23. Lisette Price Photography // June 8, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

    How sweet!!! Congratulations you two little love birds!!! :) Oh and Becka I'm jealous of your legs and your ring! haha

  24. Anonymous // June 9, 2009 at 12:42 AM  

    such a perfect and original proposal idea! i'm so excited for you two! congrats!!!

  25. Rachael Earl // June 9, 2009 at 3:32 AM  

    I can't believe I didn't comment on this post! Congratulations, and how awesome to have it captured! Oh, and good job, Nate-holy cow with that awesome ring!

  26. melanie swan // June 9, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

    Wow! How perfect. :) Many, MANY congratulations to you both!!!

  27. tami // June 9, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

    you guys are so lucky to have found each other.

  28. dacia // June 9, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

    umm... WOWZAS on that ring, those shoes and that dress! :)

  29. shawnreeder // June 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

    I'm so excited for you both Becka and Nate!!! Yay!!

  30. Unknown // June 9, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

    hi guys, an unknown reader here. i've been following your blog for a few weeks now and i just wanted to say congrats!!! We'll be celebrating our 9th year anniversary now in july and i have to tell you, it's the best thing!!!

  31. Deb // June 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

    Congrats! That's so exciting! and being married is SO much better than waiting to be married. Hope you have an awesome wedding!

  32. Heather // June 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

    Your ring is beautiful!
    You're so lucky to have amazing action shots of the proposal :)

  33. rachel // June 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

    i've been away so i didn't see it the day you posted it and then i saw your tweet about your inspiration board and OMG, i'm so completely over the moon for the two of you!!!

    gorgeous ring, gorgeous beka, gorgeous nate, gorgeous pictures!!!

    congrats to the two of you, i'm so happy for you both.

  34. Unknown // July 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

    Congratulations!!! Fantastical ring!! Are those Louboutins in the background of "the" ring shot??? Fab!! :)

  35. Studio222 Photography // July 26, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

    @Rebecca They most certainly are. And they are my pride and joy. ;)