Five Senses Friday... (Volume 2)

Posted by Studio222 Photography | 2:22 PM | , | 6 comments » | Share on Facebook

Hello loves! It's Friday and Nate and I couldn't be more excited! We get to see Nate's family this weekend to celebrate his Dad's 60th birthday and he's been talking about it all week. He loves getting to go home to St. Augustine and see his parents, sister, and nephews more than anything. I know part of him wishes he lived closer to them so he could see them all the time, especially the boys. He loves his nephews so much and would literally quit his job and stay at home playing xbox and volleyball with them all day, every day if he could. He's gonna be such a cute dad one day. I digress...

It's Friday and I'm excited to bring you volume 2 of Five Senses Friday. (I'm really starting to like these). Basically, 5 Senses Friday is just a summary of the best things from the day or the week. I jumped on the bandwagon after seeing it on Modish, who got the idea from Abby Try Again. ;)










touching:
The bubbly blanket separating the lava hot laptop from the skin of my legs. This is day 2 of working in the living room. After 3 14-hour days in the office I needed a change of space. Sue me. (No don't actually, I don't want to deal with that crap.)

seeing:
An overnight bag, open but unpacked. New clothes, shoes, and accessories (What? Target had a big sale. Don't judge me.) are making it hard to decide what to pack. It kind of like when you go grocery shopping when you're hungry and then you get home and can't decide what to eat because just want to eat everything.

tasting:
Corn risotto with fresh grated parmesan cheese and melted goat cheese. Eating in season is something I'm trying to get better at, which means that I can't just limit our veggie intake to zucchini in our pasta. The other day Publix had this corn risotto recipe as a sample (since their corn section overfloweth.) and Nate and I loved it. I've added a few of my own personal touches (hello cheese!) And yes, you may all now begin to refer to me as the "domestic goddess" because this stuff is that good.

Fresh Corn Risotto with Parm and Goat Cheese
4 ears fresh corn
1 32 oz box organic veggie broth
1 c. arborio rice
1 c. diced onions
2 tbs. unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. dried basil
2 tbs. fresh grated parmesan
1/8 c. crumbled goat cheese
Salt + pepper

1. Remove the husks and silks from the corn. Slice downward to cut off the corn kernels. Place the corn in a large microwavable bowl along with the veggie broth, onions, rice, butter, and basil
2. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Stir.
3. Cook 10-15 more minutes, until rice and veggies are tender.
4. Stir in cheeses and salt and pepper to taste. The rice will thicken as it stands. Serve warm.

hearing:
The documentary The Business of Being Born playing via Netflix on the TV while I work. It's amazing. Every woman should watch it. It was really interesting. Nate watched it with me and we just kept looking at each other and musing, "I didn't know that. Oh my gosh, that looks so peaceful! That makes sense." And no, I'm not pregnant.

smelling:
Coffee. I just started a new pot and the warm scent is filling the space. "2nd pot?" you ask? Why yes, it is. Because the new Italian Sweet Cream creamer we got is just that good.

Happy Friday everyone! Happy weekend! Best wishes to all the photographers out there capturing weddings this weekend and to the brides and grooms saying the big "I DO". We'll be thinking fond thoughts of you while we relax with our family and play Killer Uno! (That's totally a lie. The thinking about work part, not the Uno part.)

Leave us a little note to see when we get back to the office! :)

Love and weekends,
Becka & Nate

6 comments

  1. Mrs. LC // July 17, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

    Mmm that risotto looks delicious! :) Love these "Five Senses Fridays" - so fun. :) Enjoy family time in St. Augustine!

  2. Brandi // July 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

    Um. YUM! I am going to totally have to try that.. looks delicious.

  3. Lori // July 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

    Italian Sweet Cream...yummmmm. I'm completely addicted.

  4. Anonymous // July 17, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

    oh that's one of my favorite documentaries! i've made so many of my friends watch it and we're all for it now. and no, i'm not and have not been pregnant either:)

  5. Amy S // July 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

    LOVE this 5 senses thing!

  6. Brianna Phelan // July 19, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

    I love this post :)