It's Better Together

Posted by Studio222 Photography | 2:22 AM | | 6 comments » | Share on Facebook

"You've got to get out of the house and do something." Nate and I have the same argument every few weeks. It's cyclical. Because so is my patience. While I love owning my own business, running the show, and getting to make my own schedule, most the time it seems that my schedule ends up being: work from when you wake up till 2am. And that's no good. When we are coming down from the busiest time of year, it's a necessity for me to be working that much, there's just that much to do. But all that work and a lack of play makes me a grouchy girl and Nate has to deal with the full force of my cabin fever every evening when he gets home. I think it's the struggle of every work from home business owner. It's tough to get outside of the 4 walls of your office. It's tough to maintain relationships with people who can't understand why you haven't left your iMac in 14 hours. "Just say that business hours are over." They suggest. They don't understand.

So when my dear new friend, Trisha Hay, the creative genius behind Trisha Hay Design and the author of Black White Bliss told me that she wanted to have a young professionals get together, I was all about the idea. As far as I knew, there wasn't any sort of get together like this in town. Most the networking groups are filled with older, very established business owners and the entire meeting is solely for getting your name out there amongst the others. A vision developed for something less "What can you do for me?" and something more "We're in this together".

Anna Bond, of Rifle Design, hosted the first meeting at her soon-to-be open to the public studio in Winter Park. Nick of Mama's Sauce print shop provided some amazing baked goods from Davis Bakery and gave us a tour of the Mama's Sauce back of house, showing us all how intricate of a process letter press printing really is. And he ran a short run of these adorable little cards designed by Anna:





Other young professionals in attendance included:
Sarah and Lisa of Orange Blossom Ink
Fiona of Anavi Ink
Grace of Grace Edmands Calligraphy
Ashley of Ashley Brooke Designs
Monica of BoomBox Bindery

I was so excited to get to see some of my friends from the Blogging Bootcamp again. We're becoming quite the little bunch :)





After the get together ended a few of us spent the next few hours chatting over Gurtzberry about business, life, and Robert Pattinson. I had such a fantastic time and I'm so thankful that I've gotten to know some of these young women better recently. It's such a wonderful feeling to sit down with someone and have them completely understand what you're going through. Starting a business is a crazy rollercoaster ride. And making new creative, business-savvy friends who understand it all is priceless.

6 comments

  1. Amy Starks [Starks Photography] // July 16, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

    I know the EXACT feeling you described about working too much, and being holed up in your office. I almost think being able to set your own schedule is a bit of a curse. Having a boss that sets it for you means you won't get overworked. But being your own boss means you have the power to overwork yourself. It's a vicious truth. :)

  2. Sarah Matthews // July 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

    Love it! So great to see you again. Can't wait until next time!

  3. Mel Watson // July 16, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

    So much fun!!!! I think it so important to surround yourself with other creative professionals and definitely to get out of the house! I have the same problem of over work induced grouchiness so I totally get ya. Let me know the next time you get a group together like this. I'd love to come. :) PS: We need to plan a double date!

  4. Janaye Marcil // July 16, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

    *sniff* I would have loved to have gone to something like that! I'm in the process of starting my own Graphic Design business so I know all the hours that have to be put in. @.@ Just starting it means you can't leave the stupid office. Fortunately for me, my desk is in the front room of the house so I can see the outside lol.

    But if there's something like that again, I'd love it if you could forward me some info.

  5. Courtney Shapiro Photography // July 16, 2009 at 8:59 PM  

    no way! ashley was there? she's a good friend of mine and an all around delight. we keep knowing the same people...so fun! Let me know if you guys do this again.

  6. Studio222 Photography // July 16, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

    It's such a small world! :)